Sunday, September 23, 2012

Kiwi Preserves

Kiwi Preserves
While out shopping, I found a great deal on Kiwi Fruit - a box containing about 16 extra large Kiwi for less than $5.00 - They were the about the size of tennis balls!
I had remembered seeing a couple of recipes for Kiwi while looking through Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving and thought I'd try one out.

I chose the Kiwi Preserves - It sounded interesting and I already had all the other ingredients; pineapple juice, lime juice, sugar and pectin.



The recipe calls for 4 Kiwi (peeled and thinly sliced)
3 cups sugar
3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 pouch liquid pectin

Add all ingredients except the pectin  into a stainless steel pan.  Bring to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin and boil hard for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and skim off foam.

Ladle preserves into prepared jars leaving 1/4" head space.  Remove air bubbles, wipe rim, add lid and screw cap, finger tight.  Put into a hot water bath and process 10 minutes.  Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes with lid on after processing, remove from hot water bath canner and let sit 6 to 12 hours to cool.  Clean and label jars; store in cool, dark place. 

Of course I could not wait to taste it!  The Kiwi Preserves have a tart-tangy flair yet it is sweet - reminded me of the old sweet tart candy - mouth-puckering good!  I had so many Kiwi, I made a double-batch that produced 8 and 3/4 1/2 pint jars.

I have a few more Kiwi left so I may make the Kiwi Chutney next!

Happy Canning!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment