Friday, June 7, 2013

How to Make Depression Era Malted Milk Powder





I wanted to add a few additional notes on how to make Malted Milk Powder and its uses.  In order to clear up any confusion on what kind of barley to use.   You need to use "whole barley"; you need to make sure the barley has not been processed and is still in its "husk" - it would be able to be sprouted and planted; I usually call it "whole barley" or "seed barley" when trying to locate it.  (It looks similar to wheat berries or wheat seed you use to sprout wheat grass.)

 
Here is a photograph of the barley seed soaking (in background with coffee filter on jar) and the whole seed to the right of the photograph.
 


 
Here you can see in the above photographs the seed after a "rinse" being put back into the jar and the other 2 photographs show the "barley seeds" and how they actually release bubbles while they are soaking.  They are very active and smell really good while they soak. (Remember to keep them covered with a paper towel or a coffee filter to keep bugs and dust out of them.)

I soak anywhere from 1 to 2 cups of barley seeds at a time in a quart mason jar.  You need to rinse them while soaking in the morning and then again in the evening.  I always use my reverse osmosis water which is about the same as filtered water.  (I would not use city water with the fluoride & chlorine additives.)  They need to soak for 2 days; on the 3rd day, rinse them again and place in the dehydrator at about 115 - 120 degrees or in an oven at the lowest temperature possible - be sure to stir them around and do not let them burn.  You just want to dry them out to make them into a "flour" or "powder".

 
Once you take them out of the dehydrator or oven, (my dehydrator dried them overnight), I place mine in my Vita Mixer to turn into "flour".  You can try using a spice grinder, flour mill, food processor or even a blender.  The barley seed is not a very hard grain.
 
Once you "flour" the barley seed, I put about half of the barley, or about 6 tablespoons of "flour" or "powder" into a bowl.
 
 I put the rest of the "powder" in a marked mason jar without adding anything to use later. 
 
To the bowl I then add about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar* (you can use organic, raw or cane sugar) to the "flour" and then I add 2 cups of powdered milk. 
(* Sugar is to taste.  You can add less or you can add more.)
 
I like my malted milk made with low-fat milk - I use a couple of tablespoons to a glass.  You can mix the malted milk powder into water if you prefer, add it to ice cream with a little milk for a malted shake, add it to a smoothie or even add it into your yogurt - it is very versatile! 
 
Homemade Pancakes made from your homemade mix (recipe follows)

1 c. pancake mix (see below)
1 large egg
1 c. milk
1 tablespoon of butter
* Optional - 1 tsp Cinnamon
Directions:

1. In a large pan, melt the butter so that it covers the bottom of the entire pan.
2. Once the pan is heated, put about a 1/3 c. of the batter into the pan and let it cook until you see bubbles on the surface.
Once you see bubbles, the pancake is ready to flip over; allow the pancake to cook on the other side until it is golden brown. Serve hot with maple syrup!

HOMEMADE MALTED PANCAKE MIX  (Makes a nice homemade gift too!)

Mix the following in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed together:

4 cups flour
1/2 cup Malted Barley Powder Drink Mix  (Homemade or Carnation Malted Milk)
3 Tbsp Baking Powder
2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp Salt

Store the Malted Pancake Mix in an airtight container.

I hope you enjoyed this & it helps to clear up any confusion!  Please comment, subscribe & visit often!  :-)



 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for post the how to's on malted milk mix. I am letting some barly seed soak as we speak. I am so excited and hope it turns out well. I love your videos and blog. All is so well done. Blessings Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a long time after this was written, but I am so happy I found this! I actually had a bunch of malted grains sitting around from my last batch of beer. I love milkshakes and make them often. Although I usually make Cuban batidos, I wanted a malted milkshake. I used a caramel malt and it is delicious! If I knew all I had to do was grind the malted grain and add it to powdered milk, I would've done this a long time ago! Thank you for this! I might need to try my hand at malting my own barley for my next batch of beer now! (PS: I had to grind my malt with a mortar and pestle. My grinder had coffee dust in it and I didn't feel like waiting for it to dry after I washed it. I don't like waiting.)

    ReplyDelete