Wednesday, October 14, 2015

How to Make Chicken Brownies!

What on earth are "Chicken Brownies"?   I've been asked on numerous occasions so I am use to the funny looks one gets when talking about their flock.  Unless you have chickens, this post will leave you wondering I am sure!

I make these treats for the girls on occasion in the fall and winter months.  The brownies are easy to make and the ingredients are varied because they are made out of leftovers, grain products, and such.  You can be creative in your choices.

Here's how I make them:

I usually make the base out of leftover spaghetti or pasta to cover the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan.  I then add powdered eggshells* about a Tablespoon sprinkled over the noodles and about a 1/4 cup of flax, and unsalted sunflower seeds, over the pasta base. 

I then add whatever leftovers I want to use up - If I have spaghetti meat sauce, I'll add that, if I have leftover oatmeal or cereal, I'll add that, leftover veggies or fruit or grains, whatever I think they will eat, I add it - if they need to be chopped, I run them in the food processor to chop them smaller....
On occasion in the winter months, I add freeze-dried mealworms for added protein.

Please Note:  If you use grains such as oatmeal, millet, grits, etc, you may not have to bake these.  I simply add hot water and spread them in the pan for a "no-bake" brownie.

  After I have all of the "extras" added, I take 2 eggs and scramble them like I was making scrambled eggs.  These get poured over the ingredients I am using after they have all been added to the pan and I cook the mixture until the egg is cooked through at 375 degrees for about 20 - 30 minutes depending on the ingredients.  I let the chicken brownies cool down till they are warm to the touch inside as well as on the outside and when just warm, feed them to the girls.  

(Make sure they are cooled inside or the girls could burn themselves!)

This is a great way to use up leftovers or cracked eggs and at the same time, provide your hens with an extra treat.

*Simply save your hens egg shells, rinse them out, dry in the oven for about 20 minutes at 150 degrees and powder them in your blender or food processor - it's a great way to provide calcium for your hens and garden - without cost!


No comments:

Post a Comment